Upside Down Logic

Last week I talked about order of work, and this is really a follow-on piece to show you how even planning can have unintended consequences.

I am happy to report that I am no longer stitching upside down.


As I said before, I wanted to work from left to right on my project and I wanted to use my Millennium Frame. This is all well and good in theory.

The difficulty with this plan is that the fabric for the Guardian project is big enough that I have to use my large, 30 inch bars which meant that reaching the blank canvas on the left hand side of the project was awkward rather awkward at first.

So I improvised and flipped it.

My "normal" view

Up until mid-June, I've been primarily working on this project with my frame upside down. It hasn't made a difference in the stitches, but it has made a huge difference in the ease of stitching. 30 inches is a big frame, and controlling it while I reach back and forth with the threads was a real challenge. I don't have a floor stand, and the lap stand I do own just didn't feel stable enough with the huge frame on it to be worth using.

Instantly, turning things upside down made stitching so much easier. The stitching area was on the right hand side of the frame, closer to my active right hand, and my left arm can easily handle the extra length of the frame.

It has actually made taking pictures of the project kind of interesting for me too. I spent so much time looking at it upside down that some of the early images made me feel like I was looking at someone else's work.

I'll be interested to see if you can tell the difference in the stitches once the whole project is washed, ironed, and framed. I doubt it as I can't tell the difference now between stitches that I know are different, but time will tell.

Comments

Popular Posts