Wool Embroidery Classes

You may have noticed I talk a lot about the Inspirations magazine by Country Bumpkin. I like it. A lot. They have quality projects and great discussions about a wide variety of embroidery stuff. Their fluff I can often take or leave, but when it comes to the actual embroidery stuff, they're top notch.

About 2 months ago an email arrived saying that one of their lovely embroiderers was going to be in Ireland giving lessons. I ignored it, until a few weeks ago when I realized that I already had the time off and that to hell with it, whatever the cost I could afford the once off treat of getting taught by someone who knew what they were talking about and who I actually knew existed. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather take a class from besides Trish Burr.

Anyway, I chose to just do the wool embroidery classes, which involved the blanket Ode to Winter from their Inspirations magazine. It was my first attempt at wool embroidery, and you know what? I think I like it.

As Susan explained to us, one of the great things about wool embroidery is you can see results really quickly! This big rose from the larger flower spray was easier than I expected, although I've decided bouillons are rather tough on the ole fingers.

I got all of the above done during the two days of class and a whole pile more of that blue stem stitch border. I probably would've had much more done, but I, well, kept spacing for reasons that will be obvious below.

Its really nice to feel that I'm making things that I can see progress on immediately. With the hardanger and smaller embroideries its often ages before you can really see that you've done anything. But here, even a single flower and BOOM! stuff is happening!  This is the finished small spray-


I didn't get a chance to say it to the women at the class or Susan or Fiona, but they were all absolutely lovely. These classes were Day 1 and Day 2 of the fire, and I was an absolute wreck. But they were lovely and supportive. I had debated whether I'd even go on the monday morning, but I'm thoroughly glad I did.

A heartfelt Thank You from me to you, ladies.

Comments

Popular Posts